Fort Henry, Redend Point, Studland Bay. Dorset.
NGR: SZ 038 828
On top of Redend Point, Studland Bay, a small sandstone cliff which splits the beach in two at high tide, is Fort Henry.
It is owned by the National Trust and extends along the seaward side of the grounds of the Manor House Hotel.
A bunker/pillbox, constructed in 1943 by Canadian engineers and named after their home base in Ontario, it is 90 ft (27 m) long, with 3 ft (1 m) thick walls and an 80 ft (24 m) wide recessed observation slit. Behind this, on the exceedingly noisy 18th April 1944, were the field-glasses of King George VI, General Sir Bernard Montgomery, and General Dwight D. Eisenhower; the future President as Supreme Commander Allied Forces Western Europe. Together they were observing the training troops and discussing the plans for the coming D-Day landing planned for later that year.
Remains of Dragon’s Teeth on the beach below.
Type 25 Pillbox on the beach at Redend Point.
Dragon’s Teeth extending inland from Studland Beach.
by Graham G Matthews